General Summary: The Communications / Development Associate is responsible for generating funding to meet both programmatic and administrative needs of the Agency, including capital and program expansion. This position also requires public relations, an understanding of mass communication, direct marketing, and knowledge of social media.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
1) Acts as one of the voices for the Agency with the neighborhood community and with other broad based constituencies:
• Demonstrates compassion and a clear understanding of structural and personal barriers faced by individuals who have been incarcerated;
• Possess a clear understanding of the Agency’s narrative and the ability to translate it onto the social media page;
• Possess core competencies of the usage and navigation of social media sites;
• Adept at using social media listening tools;
• Manages the external communication of information when an emergency or negative occurrence takes place.
2) Creates, edits and ensures the mailing of promotional pieces:
• Creates, edits, and disseminates Passages, the Executive Director’s Newsletter, the Holiday Asking Letter, other fund raising publications, and makes recommendations to maximize communications and outreach;
• Create, edits and ensure broad dissemination of promotional information using a variety of communication strategies;
• Reviews and updates existing database and communication software. Makes recommendations for enhancements to more effectively reach broader audiences and generate appropriate reports.
3) Researches and develops new funding streams in both the public and private sector:
• Stays abreast of fund raising opportunities throughout a vast and diverse network of sources;
• Researches and identifies new local and national foundation support;
• Aggressively cultivates a new and diverse base of individual donors.
4) Completes applications and reports related to current, non-contractual funding sources:
• Maintains a calendar of due dates for foundations, churches and other funding applications;
• Submits applications and accompanying materials in a satisfactory manner;
• Submits all reports and other materials related to applications.
5) Maintains relationships with current, non-contractual funding sources:
• Meets regularly with key contacts at foundations, churches, and other funding entities;
• Ensures use of a variety of communication strategies, including mail, electronic and other mechanisms;
• Strategically and proactively reach out and initiate meetings with funders, attend mission-central gatherings initiated by foundations and other entities.
6) Assists SLM Board with successful execution of its annual fund raiser and other fund generating activities:
• Attends Board Fund Raising Committee meetings and helps to facilitate development and execution of fund raising strategies;
• Acts as the liaison with SLM Administration related to fund raising events;
• Manages and carries out mailings for fund raising events;
• Is present at and helps manage Board fund raising events;
• Prepares reports for the Board related to these events.
7) Works with the Grant and Contracts Manager, the Director of Operations, and the Executive Director on matters related to funding concerns for short and long term planning for the agency.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
(* denotes essential abilities required for this position)
1. * Leadership, self-confidence, creativity, empathy, and strong work ethic.
2. * Ability to construct well-written, convincing and productive fund raising materials.
3. * Ability to be the Agency’s voice in the world of social media.
4. Ability to work with a team and approach people in a manner which creates harmony and cooperation.
5. * Ability to prepare and deliver written and oral reports and presentations in a variety of settings.
6. Ability to effectively manage time for pertinent meetings and conferences.
7. * Ability to move around the city and state as needed.
8. Ability to successfully “sell” SLM brand to a host of audiences and stakeholders.
Resumes may be submitted to: